Friday, April 15, 2011

Out of the darkness comes light

Print
Not many people know about this weird fascination I have, but since I have never been one for holding back on my personal life, why start now? I have a massive gravitation to trees. I find them very symbolic. In fact, the picture above is of the tattoo I plan to someday get; when I get the time money and balls to actually go through with it.
In fact, the logo for Good Karma is of a tree. Bonus points for those playing "who knows Amy best".

Why trees you ask? Trees have a strength unlike anything in nature. They have the ability to withstand disastrous wind, rain and snow and continue grow despite damage and stress.
It gains strength from it's roots and provides life sustaining goodness to all those around.
The symbol above is a Celtic interpretation from the tree of life. The Celtic tree of life symbol characterizes the harmony and balance of universe. Much like the goals of my family, motherhood and food blog.

Today, my family has needed strength and balance more than ever. The recent passing of my father in law has left a void, sorrow and imbalance in our hearts and minds. It has inevitably gotten me thinking of how to straighten out this tangled emotion. We have all agreed getting into a routine again is the healthiest approach.

With that, comes the need to refresh our daily lives and clean up the dust we have left behind. I haven't cooked, photographed or blogged in over a month. I haven't wanted to. Our house has been focused on each other, coping and getting through the day. Also, Spring seems to be having this massive tug of war with Winter in the Northeast and has not been winning.

But, we are entering a new stage. Spring is a symbol of rebirth. The trees awaken and show signs of life, the street cleaners come by and suck up all the dirt and debris left from the dead of Winter.

I am taking the warmth of the sun on my face, the birds chirping, and the bright green buds on my lawn as a motivator and happy place.

Everyone can use this time of year as a time to fill your glass with positive thoughts and cleansing rituals add balance and harmony. Whether you live in an urban apartment or a huge farm house in the country, now is the time to add Good Karma to your soul.

Open that closet door and pull out those boxes. Do you really need those old shoes? Who is really going to care about all those old papers when you pass on?

I have an eating plan too. All this change in my life has really heightened my awareness about practicing what I have been preaching. We need to take care of what we put into our bodies so that we can get the most out.

First up.. Get rid of the junk. Better snacks, lower sugar, lower fat. Healthy grains. Truthfully, it's not that bad right now, but the last few weeks have seen the introduction of quick fixes.. Sorry baby girl, the "POP!-tarts" may have to go..

Next, get organized on how to easily create foods on the weekend that can turn into fast fix healthy meals during the week. You can pre-cook a lot of food on the weekend and have it ready for the week. Grilled meats, veggies, brown rice, sauces, pasta.. salads. all done in a hour or so on Saturday and Voila! ready to serve on Wednesday.

Lastly, create more sustainable resources for my family.. Time to get my Green Thumb On!

If you have ways that you have done some reclaiming, ways that you have made some changes that have brought you a healthier outlook for Spring, or life, let me know...





4 comments:

  1. Did you ever get this tattoo

    ReplyDelete
  2. This too is a tattoo that I have been looking at for a very long time, I recently turned 40 and marked the occasion literally with this tattoo. The 2 star like flowers I had made into stars to represent my 2 beautiful children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had been searching for a tree of life tattoo for a long time. When I saw this, I knew it was the one. I took out the butterfly and two small flowers, but I did have my children's birthdays added to two of the branches. My husband is Irish, so the celtic knots were special as well. I wanted my tattoo by 40. Got it with a few months to go.

      Delete
  3. I have been looking for a celtic family tree to represent both my cousins (sisters) and my aunt (their mother) who are all going through the fight with breast cancer. My one cousin just turned 30 and has a 7month baby girl and her sister is 34 and has 2 small children. They were diagnosed within months apart and then their mother went in to find out she has the gene and so she just had a double mastetcomy. We are Irish and my cousin and I always said we were going to get a matching tattoo that represented our Irish heritage. I want to incorporate the pink breast cancer ribbon in this tree somewhere. I have been having trouble finding the perfect one and I really like the one posted above. Does anyone know if this tree in particular has any special meaning? I want to get it in honor of my family to represent their strength and determination to beat this. If anyone has any info or suggestions please let me know. This is my first tattoo so I want it to have special meaning and I am so afraid I am going to get something that really means something else. Thanks for all the help and info ahead of time :)

    ReplyDelete